Monday, September 6, 2010

Home Sweet Hollywood Hills

Finding a new place to live might be one of the most stressful and challenging things to do! EVER!

My boyfriend and I are moving in together and have been looking at places for the past 3 months. From Westside Rentals to real estate brokers, we must have looked at 100 different places! Nothing 'fit'.

Then one day, we were clicking around on Craigslist and saw a listing for a gorgeous house for a price so affordable we thought it had to be too good to be true! We decided to drive by the house to make sure that the address was legitimate. As we pull up to the Spanish style house, I start to get the chills.. yup, this is our house.. It is beautiful! Maple trees, and buganvilias grow over archways, rustic white shutters, and Mediterranean red clay tiling. We are in love!
Like crazy people, my boyfriend is hoisting me up so I can look over a wall to see more. We nearly collapse into the bushes as passersby look at us with suspicion, so we decide to halt our CIA style investigation and call the phone number on the for lease sign to get more information. We find out that the Craigslist post was a scam, and that the asking price for this house is TEN times what we thought it was. Hearing our disappointment and feeling hopeless, the realtor on the phone assures us that he would help us find a great place within our price range.

And so the following weekend, we have several addresses and open houses to visit. We spend the whole morning driving around, scoping out possibilities. Towards the end of the day, we come to a house in the Hollywood Hills. It looks promising but we can't really tell, so we get out of the car to examine the exterior.

At this point, I really have to pee! Like REALLY BAD. We've been driving around town for hours and sipping on Venti iced coffees. My boyfriend has to pee too! We give each other devilish looks. It is very remote where we are. Lots of land and trees. No one around...

loud whisper: 'Should I pop a squat? I'm gonna pee my pants!'
bf: 'Yeah, good idea babe. You walk up there a ways, and I'll keep a look out, and then, I'll go.'
me: 'No, I'm scared. Just come pee with me.'
bf: 'Okay fine.'
me: 'But don't look at me!! Turn around!!!'

So here we are. In the nicest part of the Hollywood Hills... Peeing. Together. In broad daylight.

20 days later, that house is ours. We signed the paperwork and everything! You know how dogs mark their territory... well, I'm convinced that our peeing on this property was a good omen. After months of searching, stressing, and cottage cheese ceilings, we finally found our home. A gorgeous house in the hills complete with a sparkling city view.

Home sweet home indeed.

3 comments:

  1. ugh, cottage cheese ceilings! so glad you guys found your dream house :) can't wait to see pics!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks rach! i think we're gonna have a house warming party! so excited and eager to move in already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are hilarious. Thank you for sharing your dual-peeing story with the world. Brave girl. Comedy trumps embarassment!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete